Turmeric provides a warm note in this tart, earthy salad.
• 1 small bunch spinach
• 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
• 1/4–1/2 teaspoon mashed fresh or rehydrated turmeric, or 1/4 teaspoon ground dried turmeric
• 1 clove garlic, mashed
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2–3 tablespoons rice wine or champagne vinegar
• 1 teaspoon Vietnamese or Thai fish sauce or Chinese oyster sauce
• 1/4 teaspoon sugar
1. Rinse the spinach in several changes of water, drain it well, and pat the leaves dry on toweling. Shred the leaves coarsely and toss them with the mushroom slices into a salad bowl.
2. Mash the fresh or rehydrated turmeric to a paste in a mortar or with a garlic press and put it, or the ground turmeric, in a small bowl. Add the garlic, then whisk in the oil, vinegar, fish sauce, and sugar.
3. Pour over the salad, toss lightly, and serve.
Cornelia Carlson’s obsession with herbs and spices began in the mint-scented tangle of an abandoned herb garden behind her childhood home. In the decades since, she has planted extensive herb gardens in the Snow Belt, coastal California, and the southwestern desert. Currently living in Tucson, Arizona, Cornelia has a bachelor’s degree in food research and master’s and doctoral degrees in biochemistry. She’s now at work on a cookbook.
Click here for the original article, The Health Benefits of Turmeric .