Serves 6 to 8
Anise hyssop flowers may be substituted for the lavender for a tamer flavor. My family voted strawberries the most popular dipper for this dish.
• 6 lavender flower spikes or 3/4 teaspoon dried lavender flowers
• 3/4 cup heavy cream
• 6 ounces milk chocolate
• 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
• 1 tablespoon kirsch (cherry brandy), brandy, or water
Dippers: cubes of angel food or pound cake, banana or apple slices, whole strawberries, Bing cherries, kiwi fruit, pineapple chunks, marshmallows, graham crackers, and/or thin salted pretzels
1. Bring the lavender and cream just to a simmer, then steep, uncovered, off heat for 30 to 60 minutes. Strain the cream and set aside.
2. Break or chop the chocolate into 1-inch chunks. Heat it with 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon of the cream until melted, stirring occasionally; do not simmer. Thin with additional cream if necessary.
3. Stir in the kirsch, brandy, or water, and heat for a minute or two longer. Transfer to a fondue pot with a burner just large enough to keep the fondue warm but not bubbling.