Summer salads, like this one, can be served as a refreshing light meal or a side dish.
• About 30 tender young spinach leaves
• 12 tender young arugula leaves
• 1/2 jicama, peeled and shredded
• 24 asparagus spears
• One 10-ounce package frozen raspberries in syrup, drained
• 6 tablespoons olive oil
• 1/4 cup whipping cream
• 1 tablespoon raspberry vinegar
• Salt to taste
• 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
• 1 tablespoon freshly snipped chives
• Freshly ground lemon pepper
1. Carefully wash and remove the stems from the spinach and arugula. Wrap in paper towels and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Steam the asparagus spears for about 7 minutes. Drain and plunge immediately into ice water. Drain again.
3. Puree the raspberries in a food processor or blender, then press through a wire sieve with a spoon. Discard the seeds. Place the oil, cream, vinegar, salt and strained raspberries in the container of a food processor or blender and pulse just to combine.
4. Arrange the spinach and arugula leaves in a circular pattern on chilled plates. Fan the asparagus spears on top of the greens. Place the shredded jicama in a cloud shape above the asparagus tips.
5. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the cloud in a lightning-bolt pattern. Sprinkle the pecan bits and chives over all. Pass the lemon pepper.
—Janet K. Perry, Hoffman Estates, Illinois