Vegetable Medley with Brown Rice
Serves 6 to 8
This simple dish lets the vegetable flavors shine. It’s also a perfect palette for your favorite savory seasoning blends. Best of all? This complete meal, packed with nutrition and flavor, will be ready to serve in less than 15 minutes! You can substitute almost any vegetables you have on hand for those listed here.
1 cup brown rice
1 1/2 cups water
1 small turnip, peeled and cubed
1 pound winter squash such as banana squash, sliced
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
3 stalks kale, leafy greens coarsely chopped, stems diced
1 stalk broccoli, including stem, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup water chestnuts, finely chopped
1. In a 4-quart or larger pressure cooker, bring rice and water to a boil.
2. Close lid and bring pressure to low over high heat. Depending on your pressure cooker model, you may need to adjust heat to maintain low pressure. Cook 10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and allow pressure to subside naturally.
4. Open lid, stir in vegetables, then close lid and bring pressure to low over high heat. Cook for 1 minute.
5. Remove from heat and allow pressure to subside naturally.
For more instructions on using pressure cookers, read the original article, "The Benefits of Pressure Cookers."