Harvest Vegetables en Papillote
Individual packets of steamed vegetables infused with butter and herbs are a breeze to serve. Prepare them the night before and pop them in the oven at the last minute.
1 head whole garlic cloves, peeled
1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
4 12-inch squares parchment paper
1 red onion, cut into 1⁄3-inch slices
1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, washed and sliced
1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1⁄3-inch slices
12 sun-dried tomatoes, halved
1/4 pound broccoli, cut into florets
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine garlic and oil in a small saucepan and warm over medium heat until garlic is golden brown. Stir in thyme and rosemary, remove from heat and set aside.
3. Cut parchment paper into four 12-inch-diameter circles. Fold circle in half to make a crease and re-open.
4. Among the four papers, evenly distribute onions, mushrooms, squash, tomatoes, broccoli and 4 of the roasted garlic cloves. Lay vegetables on one side of crease. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of herbed olive oil on each (reserve remaining oil for another use). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Fold paper along crease, forming a half circle. Bend edges in toward the center to close packet.
6. Place packets on a sheet pan and bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
Either cut an X into each packet’s top and serve in the paper or unroll one end and scoop the contents onto the dinner plate.