Makes 1 loaf
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• 1 cup Whole-Grain Granola
• 3 tablespoons organic cane sugar
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh pineapple sage
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ¾ cup mashed ripe banana
• ¼ cup natural peanut or cashew butter*
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 2 tablespoons soy or rice milk
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
* This amount of sugar is for natural nut butter; if using commercial peanut butter, reduce sugar to 2 tablespoons.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, Granola, sugar, baking powder, pineapple sage and salt. Stir to mix well; make a well in the center.
3. In a medium bowl, mash banana with a fork. Beat in peanut butter. Beat in eggs, milk and olive oil.
4. Pour liquid ingredients into well in dry ingredients and stir just until mixed. Scrape into prepared loaf pan. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean. Set on a wire rack to cool.
5. Wrap tightly, then store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Or for individual servings, slice and store in airtight bags in freezer for up to 1 month.
Pat Crocker is a culinary herbalist and author of several award-winning books. Contact her throughwww.HerbCompanion.com/Contributorsor atPCrocker@RiversongHerbals.com
Click here for the main article, 6 Healthful Breakfast Recipes.