Flourless Chocolate Ganache Tart
We love it when Melissa Rubin makes this decadent (and gluten-free) ultra-chocolately dessert for our final chapter.
1 cup pecans
1 cup walnuts
3/4 cup sugar
4 tablespoons butter, melted
16 ounces semisweet chocolate
2 cups cream
1 egg yolk
1. To make tart shell, place pecans, walnuts, sugar and butter in a food processor. Pulverize the mixture and press it into a 10-inch tart pan.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake crust for 10 minutes, or until it’s golden brown.
3. Place chocolate in a double boiler and melt it.
4. In another double boiler, pour in cream and heat until it’s scalding hot.
5. Beat egg yolk into the boiler with chocolate. Then beat in hot cream. (Don’t panic if the egg yolk hardens the chocolate slightly. It will soften and smooth out again when you add the cream.)
6. Pour mixture into shell and chill tart for at least 2 hours.
7. To decorate, cut out a stencil of a pattern and place over the tart. Pour powdered sugar into a sifter and sprinkle lightly over top. Remove stencil.