Incredibly simple, this springtime dessert takes minutes to prepare, but you’ll need to plan ahead for the Mint Cream. The key to its flavor is steeping the mint sprigs in heavy whipping cream for a few hours or overnight. Adding just a few drops of vanilla extract brings out the mint and gives the recipe a creamier flavor. Too much vanilla will overpower the mint’s subtle flavor.
• 2 quarts stemmed strawberries, cut in half
• 2 tablespoons sugar or honey
1. Combine strawberries and sugar or honey.
2. Set aside to allow sweetener to draw out the berries’ natural juices for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
• 4 mint sprigs, each 4 to 6 inches long
• 2 cups heavy whipping cream
• 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
• 3 drops vanilla extract
1. Several hours or the night before serving, lightly bruise mint sprigs and place in a bowl.
2. Pour whipping cream over mint, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
3. An hour before serving, remove the mint. Begin whipping the cream with whisk or egg beater. As cream thickens, add powdered sugar a bit at a time.
4. Add 3 drops vanilla extract and finish whipping the cream until it forms soft peaks. Refrigerate until serving time.
Tip: Mint Brownies
For mint brownies, prepare your favorite box mix as usual, adding 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves, minced, or 2 teaspoons dried mint leaves as you mix the batter.
Contributing editor Jim Long lives and gardens in the Ozark Mountains.
Click here for the original article, Many Mints: Recipes and Growing Tips for Mint .