Serves 15 to 20
This refreshing punch is a beautiful lavender color.
- 3 pounds purple grapes
- 1 cup lavender flowers, dried or fresh
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 quart bottled spring water
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 bottle claret
- 3 bottles pink champagne, chilled
- Grapes and lemon slices for garnish
- Press the grapes in a food mill. Strain and combine the juice with the lavender, sugar, water, cinnamon and cloves. Boil slowly, covered, for 5 minutes. Strain and cool.
- Add the lemon juice and claret, cover tightly and chill overnight. To serve, pour the mixture into a glass or crystal bowl or pitcher. Slowly add the chilled champagne. Garnish with grapes and lemon slices.
Writers Jeanne Nakjavani and Linda L. Underhill explore food in history and literature. Their work has appeared in Victoria and Victorian Accents.
Click here for the original article, Add a Champagne Sparkle.