Be sure to use unsprayed flowers and buds in this lovely luncheon dish.
• 1 cup water
• 1 cup chicken broth
• Dash salt
• 1 cup rice
• 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
• 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
• 3 green onions, coarsely chopped
• 6–8 nearly open daylily buds
• 1 cup salad shrimp
• 1 teaspoon low-salt tamari sauce
• 1 tablespoon snipped dill
• 1 teaspoon each snipped parsley, lemon thyme, and sweet marjoram
• Daylily blossoms for garnish
1. In a pan, bring the water, broth, and salt to a boil. Add the rice and cook until tender; fluff with a fork. In a skillet, sauté the mushrooms in oil and add the almonds and green onions. Add the daylily buds, shrimp, and tamari sauce.
2. Cook until just heated through: daylilies should still be crisp. Stir in the herbs, then the rice, and mix well. Serve immediately on a platter garnished with daylily blossoms.
—Maggie Keeler, Charles Town, West Virginia