MAKES 1 DOZEN
• 1/2 cup boiling water
• 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
• 1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
• 1/2 cup canola oil
• 2 large eggs, beaten
• 1 1/2 teaspoons grated ginger
• 1/2 cup white rice flour
• 1/2 cup brown rice flour
• 3 tablespoons whole-grain gluten-free flour, such as quinoa or buckwheat
• 1/2 cup potato starch
• 1/2 cup evaporated cane sugar
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• Pinch ground cloves
• 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, minced
• 1/4 cup raisins, chopped
• 1/4 cup toasted walnuts for serving (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin or place unbleached paper baking cups in muffin tins.
3. Whisk boiling water and baking soda in a medium bowl. Add molasses and oil; whisk to combine. Add eggs and fresh ginger; whisk to combine.
4. Whisk together flours, potato starch, sugar, salt, cinnamon and cloves until ingredients are evenly distributed.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Fold in crystallized ginger and raisins.
6. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins; bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean. Cool in pan for about 5 minutes; remove from pan to wire racks to cool completely. Sprinkle with toasted walnuts and serve.
Gina Mohammed, Ph.D., is a plant physiologist who researches medicinal and other specialty uses of plants. E-mail email@example.com or write to 1503 SW 42nd St., Topeka, KS 66609 for a detailed reference list.
Click here for the main article, Make Holiday Desserts Without Refined Sugars .