MAKES 5 DOZEN
• 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 4 teaspoons ground ginger
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
• 1 cup butter, softened
• 1 3/4 cups evaporated cane sugar
• 3/4 cup firmly packed date sugar or unrefined brown sugar
• 1 large egg
• 1/3 cup unsulphured molasses
• Raw sugar
• Crystallized ginger cubes, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour and next 6 ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Beat butter and sugars at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg and molasses, beating until blended. Gradually add flour mixture, beating at low speed just until blended.
3. Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll each ball in raw sugar. Place 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets.
4. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool on baking sheets 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks and cool completely.
Gina Mohammed, Ph.D., is a plant physiologist who researches medicinal and other specialty uses of plants. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or write to 1503 SW 42nd St., Topeka, KS 66609 for a detailed reference list.
Click here for the main article,
Make Holiday Desserts Without Refined Sugars