This recipe makes a huge batch of linguine, which, happily, gains flavor in subsequent days in the fridge.
• 3 cloves chopped garlic
• ½ cup pine nuts
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2½ cups pureed fresh basil
• 1 cup heavy whipping cream
• 2⁄3 cup olive oil
• ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 1 pound linguine
1. To a mortar, add garlic, pine nuts and salt, and use a pestle to chip really fine. Add basil and continue to chip.
2. In a food processor, combine mixture with heavy cream, olive oil and cheese. Process until sauce is finely blended. Place sauce in sauté pan and heat.
3. Add linguine to a pot of rapidly boiling water and cook until al dente. Drain and add to pesto sauce and toss until pasta is well-coated. Serve hot.
For the main article, An Herbal Feast for the Holiday Season, click here.