MAKES 4 SERVINGS
• 3 tablespoons oil
• 1 small sweet red onion, thinly sliced
• 3 carrots, cut into matchsticks
• 3 small zucchinis, cut into matchsticks
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil (‘Siam Queen’ or ‘Genovese’)
• 1 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
• 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a wok or large pan over high heat. Add the onion and stir frequently until slightly softened, about 4 to 5 minutes. 2. Stir in the carrots, tossing well until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 2 to 3 minutes. 3. Add the zucchini and garlic, stirring 2 to 3 minutes longer. 4. Add remaining ingredients to the pan, stirring until vegetables are well mixed. 5. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
Read the original article: Grow Your Own Herbs: Planting Herbs Indoors.
Kris Wetherbee is a freelance writer who contributes to more than three dozen national magazines. She lives in the hills of western Oregon with her photographer husband.