These flavorful tomatoes with sage leaves soaked in brandy are an elegant accompaniment to any dish. Serve these with Oven-Fried Chicken with Tarragon-Mustard Crust and Chive-Garlic Mashed Potatoes for a wonderful meal.
- 12 medium-sized sage leaves
- 2 tablespoons brandy, wine, or broth
- 6 large tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 cups crushed cornflakes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Marinate the sage leaves in a shallow dish with the brandy while preparing the rest of the recipe. Place each tomato stem end down and cut off the top quarter (the bottom of the tomato), reserving it for another use.
- Soften the butter and mix with remaining ingredients. Place two sage leaves on the cut side of each tomato. Divide the cornflake mixture among the 6 tomatoes, rounding the top with your hands to the shape of the cut-off tomato section. Chill for 1 hour. Bake 30 minutes in a casserole or shallow pan coated with cooking oil in a preheated 300°F oven.
- Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving
Terri Wuerthner is an herb lover and food developer in Palo Alto, California.