Celebrity chefs offer their recipes for pizza dough.
Deborah Madison’s Pizza Dough
From Local Flavors (Broadway Books, 2002)
Makes two 12-inch round pizzas or one 12 x 16-inch pizza
- 1¼ cups warm water
- 1 scant tablespoon active dry yeast
- Pinch sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, or more as needed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Put warm water in a mixing bowl and stir in yeast, sugar and 1 cup of the flour. Set aside until foamy, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Lightly oil a clean bowl for the dough.
- Stir in salt and oil, then start stirring in remaining flour until dough is fairly stiff. When too stiff to stir, turn it out onto a lightly floured counter and knead until dough is smooth and shiny, about 10 minutes. Add more flour as needed. Put dough in oiled bowl, turn once to coat, cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Divide into two pieces, shape loosely into balls, then roll out into thin circles or a large thin rectangle. Proceed with White Pizza with Sage recipe.