Makes 8 servings
Created by my ginger-obsessed mother, Beth Baugh, this perfectly moist cake includes pumpkin for beneficial beta-carotene and fiber. Enjoy a slice with a cup of your favorite tea.
- 1½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
- 3 tablespoons ginger powder
- ¼ cup fresh-grated gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ cup chopped candied ginger
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup canola oil
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger powder, fresh ginger, cloves and candied ginger.
- In a separate bowl, mix pumpkin, eggs and oil. Add wet mixture to dry, and stir until blended.
- Pour into an 8-inch square pan coated with cooking spray and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Amy Mayfield is senior editor for The Herb Companion.
Click here for the original article, Culinary Herbs and Medicinal Spices.