For a festive appearance, garnish each serving with nasturtiums or other edible flowers. Adapted with permission from Recipes from an American Herb Garden (Macmillan, 1993) by Maggie Oster.
• 3 cups peeled, seeded, and grated cucumbers (about 2)
• 1 garlic clove, minced, or 1 tablespoon garlic chives
• 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions, both white and green parts
• 2 tablespoons mint vinegar or white wine vinegar
• 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
• 1 1/2 cups nonfat or lowfat plain yogurt
• 1/2 cup minced fresh herb leaves: burnet, mint, dill or a combination
• 1/4 cup toasted almonds
In a large bowl, combine the cucumbers, garlic, scallions, vinegar, buttermilk, yogurt and 1/4 cup of the fresh herbs. For a smooth soup, the ingredients can be pureed in a blender or food processor. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving. Pour into serving bowls and garnish with the remaining herbs and toasted almonds.
For more recipes from Shower Her With Herbs, click here.