The recipes that follow are adapted from Olive Dunn’s, and they remind me of my magical day in her fragrance garden.
Makes about 4 pints
- 6 cups water
- Juice of one lemon
- 4 cups fragrant red rose petals, washed, with white heels removed
- 1 packet powdered pectin
- 6 cups sugar
1. Heat the water and lemon juice in a saucepan, add the rose petals, and simmer for 10 minutes. With a wooden spoon, squeeze most of the petal pulp against the edge of the pan to release the juice. Leave a small amount of pulp in the pan for texture.
2. Return the liquid to a simmer and sprinkle in the pectin. Stir until dissolved. Add the sugar.
3. Increase the heat and boil vigorously for 7 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Immediately place the jam in hot sterilized jars and seal.
Click here for the original article, A Fragrance Garden: Floresta Fragrant Gardens.