Makes 12 deviled egg halves
These deviled eggs disappear quickly. Try using basil, parsley, or tarragon instead of dill. My grandmother always sprinkled her deviled eggs with paprika, and so we carry on the tradition.
- 6 extra-large eggs, hard-cooked
- 3 to 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 11/2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- About 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped dill
- 2 to 3 teaspoons finely snipped chives (optional)
- 11/2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish or finely chopped sweet pickles
1. Peel the eggs and cut them in half lengthwise. Put the yolks in a small bowl and place the whites on a serving plate.
2. With a fork, finely mash the yolks. Add 3 tablespoons mayonnaise and the mustard, salt, and pepper to taste. Add the herbs and pickles and blend well. Add more mayonnaise if the mixture seems too thick. Taste for seasoning and add more salt or pepper if necessary.
3. Spoon the filling equally into the egg whites. Sprinkle lightly with paprika. If you aren’t going to eat the eggs right away, cover and refrigerate them. Remove them from the refrigerator about 10 minutes before serving.
Click here for the original article, Kids in the Kitchen.