This dish makes a splendid cold appetizer or salad atop a bed of mixed greens and diced fennel. I serve it with a sauce made of equal parts mayonnaise and nonfat plain yogurt blended well with drops of sesame seed oil to taste.
• 2 pounds beef top round steak, 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick, trimmed of fat
• 3/4 cup tamari or reduced-sodium soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 3 tablespoons dry sherry
• 2 tablespoons whole aniseed, tied in cheesecloth
• 1 cup of water
1. Combine the meat with the remaining ingredients; cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours but no longer than 4 hours.
2. Preheat an oven broiler. Remove the meat from the marinade (discard marinade) and broil it 4 to 5 inches from the heat for about 15 minutes on each side for medium-rare, depending on thickness. Chill the meat well before slicing it thinly.
Donna M. Klein, Gaithersburg, Maryland