Makes 12 scones
Scones are delightful whether served for breakfast, as a snack or even for dessert, but they’re exceptionally delicious when laced with lavender and topped with an apricot glaze.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lavender flowers
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup 100-percent-fruit apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons juice, such as apple or orange
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add walnuts and lavender, mixing until combined.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add the egg, honey, buttermilk and vanilla. Stir to combine, mixing to form a soft dough. With floured hands, pat the dough into a round about 1 inch thick and cut into smaller rounds using a large cookie cutter.
- Place scones on a nonstick cookie sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. To make apricot glaze, combine apricot preserves with juice in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and spread warm glaze over warm scones before serving.
Click here for the original article, Cooking with Lavender .